Virginia happens to be a university English trainer for more than two decades. She focuses on assisting individuals write essays faster and easier.
Want An Improved Grade?
A lot of things have changed when you look at the 23 years i have taught university English, but a very important factor have not. Pupils still result in the exact same errors that are common their documents. We guarantee that in the event that you follow my directions to eradicate these mistakes on your own paper, you get an improved grade. Perhaps perhaps perhaps Not enough time? My recommendations are bought most abundant in ones that are important.
Spelling and Grammar
The situation: pupils rush to complete their documents plus don’t use the time for you to find and fix mistakes which they could effortlessly correct.
- Spell-check your essay making use of your word program that is processing.
- Utilize Grammarly to greatly help search for mistakes (Google “Grammarly’ to download the free variation). After utilizing this myself for per year, we finally need my students utilize it too as it does get many typical word option mistakes and comma errors.
- Re-read your essay gradually (out loud is most beneficial) from beginning to end. That can help you discover a complete great deal of errors and typos that could be missed by the spellchecker.
- Ask some other person to read through your essay to find mistakes. Often buddy is able to see one thing you cannot.
Why Fix? Misspelled words and typos tell your instructor you do not care. More to the point, these kinds of mistakes at work inform your employer you are a sloppy worker, and that make you get passed away over for the advertising (but nobody will say to you for the reason that you do not spell check!). Therefore learn how to be considered a proofreader that is careful.
Always Always Check Word Useage
The difficulty: Students compose the means they talk, making their writing too casual.
The perfect solution is: check always your essay to note that you aren’t making use of these typical terms and expressions which can be either:
- wrong sentence structure
- confused terms
- bad term alternatives
- perhaps perhaps not suitable for a piece that is academic
To fix this Forever: Keep a summary of the expressed term errors that you find in your documents, or that your particular trainer has marked on graded essays. Attempt to discover the principles. Make sure those words by using them if not whenever you proofread.
Why Fix? The guidelines of many of these expressed terms are taught in primary college. Perhaps you missed those classes, did not comprehend, or have a couple of of the that you don’t keep in mind. Because these are classes taught to small children, it must be very simple them now for you to learn. Do yourself a favor and discover your standard mistakes in order that you are able to somewhat enhance your writing money for hard times.
Common Term Mistakes
Once You Fix Grammar Errors..
Revise Boring, Short and sentences that are essay writer repetitive
Problem: Sentences are wordy, boring, and sound the exact same.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is in western Africa. The Ebola virus is life-threatening. The Ebola virus is frightening to people that are many. People wonder when they can be the following victims of the life-threatening virus. Individuals do not trust federal government sources that guarantee us the Ebola virus is included.
- Circle every expressed term that you apply to start out a phrase.
- Seek out sentences which have the exact same very very very first terms, particularly in one of the following ways if they are in the same paragraph and change them:
Put in a change phrase or word to start out the phrase (nonetheless, and even though, furthermore, in addition, additionally, consequently). See my “transition words” chart for lots more examples.
Utilize various sentence kinds, like concerns, interjections and commands.
- Which will be actually the many way that is important avoid Ebola?
- We have to work now!
- Bear in mind that as our society shrinks, what goes on in Africa and somewhere else has importance that is great everybody.
Re-arrange the phrase with an Introductory Element. Basic elements are phrases that can come before the subject of the phrase. Usually you are able to make the conclusion of a phrase and go it to your front side which will make an even more sentence that is interesting. Make sure you remember a comma following the Introductory Element.
Western Africa could be the destination in which the Ebola that is deadly virus hit. Wondering in the event that lethal virus will distribute, lots of people are frightened by Ebola. Maybe perhaps maybe Not trusting government sources, residents in hard-hit countries are wondering should they or somebody they love is the next victim.
- Combine quick sentences and expel repeated terms.
Original: The Ebola outbreak is with in western Africa. The Ebola virus is life-threatening. The Ebola virus is frightening to people that are many.
Re-write: The lethal Ebola virus outbreak in western Africa is frightening to numerous individuals.
- Work with a semicolon to mix sentences.
The frightening and deadly Ebola outbreak in western Africa causes visitors to wonder that will function as the victim that is next furthermore, lots of people do not trust the us government sources that state the herpes virus is included.
Why sentence that is changing works: when you’ve got sentences beginning with the exact same term, maybe you are with the “subject-verb-object” kind of phrase that English speakers utilize once we talk. Whenever you compose, it’s not necessary to continue to keep the niche once the very first term when you look at the phrase. When you revise the very first term, your writing immediately appears more expert and smart.
Test Revisions: despite the fact that federal government sources guarantee us the Ebola outbreak in western Africa will likely to be included, lots of people are frightened which they can become the second victims of the virus that is deadly.
Maybe perhaps Not trusting federal government sources which guarantee us that the Ebola virus is contained, lots of people are frightened and wonder if they are going to end up being the next victims of the life-threatening virus which comes from western Africa.
Always check Commas, Semicolons and Colons
The issue: Commas look if they aren’t required or are lacking when they’re needed. Your trainer may compose “comma splice,” “run-on phrase” or “no comma required.”
The perfect solution is: Proofread your paper while taking a look at the Rules for making use of Commas, and Easy Rules for Semicolon and Colon.
Here you will find the Fundamental Comma Rules:
- Work with a comma in a list.Example: James really loves bananas, oranges, peaches, and strawberries.
- Make use of a comma before a conjunction (and, but, or, so, for, yet, nor) if you have a complete sentence (topic and verb) before and after the combination. instance: James really loves bananas which can be ripe, buthe will not consume any fresh fruit which has spots that are brown.
- Make use of a comma after an Introductory Element ( phrase or word) which comes before the topic in a sentence. Instance: In spite of eating an entire bowl high in good fresh fruit at lunch, James had been nevertheless hungry.
- Use commas to mark down information that is unimportant. Then try saying the sentence without that phrase if you aren’t sure if it needs a comma. In the event that phrase nevertheless is practical, you then should probably make use of commas. Example: James, whom really loves a variety of fresh fruit, constantly attempts to come beside me once I’m shopping during the Farmer’s marketplace, which can be just available on mornings saturday.
2 methods to make use of a Semicolon
- Work with a Semicolon in place of a period of time two sentences together.Example:James constantly goes beside me into the food store; we always argue over whether or not to get green, red, or black colored seedless grapes.
- Make use of a Semicolon by having a transition term + comma. Example:James constantly goes beside me into the supermarket; nevertheless, we frequently invest the majority of our time arguing over which type of grapes to get.
Just how to Use a Colon
A colon can be used before a listing, a explanation or example. Example: James always argue about which grapes would be the most useful: red, black or green.
Check always Your Quotes and Sources
The difficulty: pupils do not always utilize quote markings precisely or inform where they got information.
The perfect solution is: search for where you require sources. while you read your paper over, mark the components which were some ideas that originated from somebody else. Have actually you told your reader where you got that information? You specially need certainly to cite your supply for facts, data, quotations or any other information that’s not basic knowledge.
place your sources in your paper. The way that is easiest are not in big trouble for perhaps not as well as your sources is always to point out where you’ve got the knowledge in your writing. Below are a few sample platforms:
- In Damian Reed’s article, “Where wild birds Fly South,” he states that.
- In accordance with Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South,” the hummingbird does not migrate.
- Hummingbirds do not migrate the moment expected, notes Damian Reed in “Where wild birds Fly South” (Reed 24).